Best Maternity Hospital
Prisma Health hospitals were ranked among the Best Maternity Hospitals nationally, according to Newsweek’s annual list which includes 217 hospitals across 36 states. Ten hospitals were ranked in South Carolina, with seven of them being Prisma Health facilities. Prisma Health is the only health system recognized in the Midlands and Upstate regions of South Carolina.
Newsweek partnered with The Leapfrog Group, a national nonprofit organization that reports on the safety and quality performance of U.S. healthcare facilities. Hospitals were recognized based on the results of the 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey.
Prisma Health maternity hospitals recognized by Newsweek include:
- Prisma Health Baptist Easley Hospital (currently suspended due to COVID-19)
- Prisma Health Baptist Hospital (Columbia)
- Prisma Health Greenville Memorial Hospital
- Prisma Health Greer Memorial Hospital
- Prisma Health Laurens County Hospital
- Prisma Health Oconee Memorial Hospital
- Prisma Health Patewood Hospital (Greenville)
What determines the Best Maternity Hospital recognition?
The Leapfrog Group includes six measures in its annual Leapfrog Hospital Survey:
- Rate of early elective deliveries
- Rate of NTSV cesarean deliveries
- Rate of episiotomies
- Compliance with maternity care process measures:
- Rate of newborn bilirubin screening before discharge
- Rate of implementing blood clot prevention techniques for mothers delivering via C-section