Skip to content

Search Prisma Health

Looking for a doctor? Try our Find a Doctor search.

Get COVID-19 updates | COVID-19 Vaccine


A poison is any substance, including medications, that is harmful to your body if too much is eaten, inhaled, injected or absorbed through the skin. Poisons can be found anywhere in the home, such as the bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, garage, shed or outside.  Even outside, some plants, berries or flowers could be poisonous. Children are especially at risk since they are curious and may put something in their mouths without knowing the danger.

How can you avoid poisoning?

Lock them up and away

Keep medicines and toxic products, such cleaning solutions and detergent pods, in their original packaging where children can’t see or get them.

Know the number

Put the nationwide poison control center phone number, 1-800-222-1222, on or near every telephone in your home and program it into your cell phone. Call the poison control center if you think a child has been poisoned but they are awake and alert. They can be reached 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Call 911 if you have a poison emergency and your child has collapsed or is not breathing.

Read the label

Follow label directions carefully and read all warnings when giving medicines to children.

Don’t keep it if you don’t need it

Safely dispose of unused, unneeded, or expired prescription drugs and over the counter drugs, vitamins, and supplements. To dispose of medicines, mix them with coffee grounds or kitty litter and throw them away. You can also turn them in at a local take back program or during National Drug Take Back events. Check with your pharmacy or local law enforcement agency to see if they have a permanent medication disposal bin.