Growing older does not mean falls are inevitable. Most falls can be prevented. You have the power to reduce your risk and protect yourself or loved ones from a serious fall.
Protecting yourself and loved ones from falls
Stay safe by following these tips from the National Council on Aging:
- Find a good balance and exercise program: look to build balance, strength, and flexibility.
- Talk to your healthcare provider: ask for an assessment of your risk of falling. Share your history of recent falls.
- Regularly review your medication with your doctor or pharmacist: make sure side effects are not increasing your risk of falling. Take medications only as prescribed.
- Get your vision and hearing checked annually and update your eyeglasses: your eyes and ears are key to keeping you on your feet.
- Keep your home safe: remove tripping hazards, increase lighting, make stairs safe, and install grab bars in key areas.
- Talk to your family members: enlist their support of taking simple steps to stay safe, Falls are not just an older adult issue.
Take the Falls Free Checkup – Answer 12 questions and receive an email with a copy of your Falls Free Checkup report that you can share and discuss with your doctor and family.
Let us help you get back to being you
At Prisma Health, our Falls Prevention Program is designed for the aging adult. The program helps you return to independence after an injury or fall and helps you stay stronger and independent longer. In addition, the program helps prevent falls and serious injury before they happen. We believe in a multidisciplinary team approach, which can include occupational and speech therapy depending on your unique needs and goals.
Let us help you with:
- Falls prevention
- Balance problems
- Fear of falling
- Loss of strength
- Difficulty walking
- Mobility impairments (walking/standing/stairs)
After a comprehensive evaluation by your board-certified geriatric specialty physical therapist, you will begin a one-on-one, custom designed program to address your individual needs and goals. Contact Prisma Health Physical Therapy Specialists at 803-434-7750 or visit our website.
Falls prevention resources
Take Control of Your Health: 6 Steps to Prevent a Fall (English)
Take Control of Your Health: 6 Steps to Prevent a Fall (Spanish)
Osteoarthritis and Falls: What You Need to Know to Lead an Active Life and Prevention Falls
Check for Safety: A Home Fall Prevention Checklist for Older Adults
Debunking the Myths of Older Adult Falls
Medication Record Form
For Caregivers: Falls Prevention Conversation Guide for Caregivers
For Caregivers: 6 Steps for Preventing Falls Among Your Older Loved Ones