Memory conditions such as dementia, Alzheimer’s or others caused by trauma or disease are almost as hard on loved ones as on the patient. This isn’t about everyday forgetfulness. These are complex conditions ranging from dangerous changes in the ability to reason to struggles with speaking, personal care and social interaction.
Staying safe, independent and well cared for
The good news is, you’re not alone. At Prisma Health, we provide excellent testing, treatment, support and education – improving quality of life for the whole family.
Centers for Success In Aging
As part of our comprehensive neurology and geriatric services, our program begins with a complete physical, cognitive and social evaluation. It helps our interdisciplinary team diagnose memory conditions and develop a plan of care. In some cases, a memory condition can be managed or resolved by treating an underlying condition.
Our program provides the following:
- A comprehensive evaluation which includes medical, cognitive, social and physical evaluations.
- Medical management of mild cognitive impairment, memory loss, or dementia.
- Licensed social worker and other professionals for support, coaching, education and referrals.
- Caregiver Resource Library – Educational resources on caregiver stress, proper care, and other relevant topics. Educational and supportive events taught by experts in the field of memory health and geriatrics.
- Caregiver Coaching – An assigned caregiver coach who performs assessments followed by targeted training in-home visits and phone calls over 6-12 months.
- Caregiver ABCs – A series of educational sessions held during evening and lunch hours to improve knowledge of how to properly care for someone with a memory disorder. Free in-home caregiver support may be available to help you attend the session.
- Virtual dementia tour – a scientifically proven method designed to build caregiver sensitivity and awareness by simulating the physical and mental challenges of dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease.
Who can benefit from a memory health program?
Adults who exhibit any of the following may benefit from a memory health assessment:
- Forgetfulness that disrupts daily life.
- Challenges or changes in the ability to perform daily tasks.
- Getting lost when driving in familiar places.
- Difficulty finding words or repeating statements.
- Confusion with time or place.
- Exhibiting poor judgment.
- Difficulty planning or problem solving.
- Misplacing items or finding something in an unusual place.
- Changes in mood, behavior or personality.
- Withdrawal from usual activities.