Forensic Nurse Examiner Program
Forensic Nurse Examiners (FNE), or Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE), are experienced registered nurses with additional training to provide services to both adult and pediatric patients who have been victims of intimate partner violence, rape or sexual abuse.
At Prisma Health, our Regional Midlands Forensic Nurse Examiner Program in Columbia provides 24/7 on-call coverage for twelve counties in the Midlands of South Carolina.
Each of our nurses are certified by the International Association of Forensic Nurses (IAFN), and we provide care to an average of 800 patients every year. Our program is made possible by grants provided through the Violence Against Women Act and the Victims of Crime Act, with additional funding provided by participating hospitals.
24/7 coverage for victims of sexual assault
Getting care: What to expect
When you arrive to the emergency department, let registration know that you are a victim of domestic violence and/or sexual assault. You will be seen by a doctor who will provide medical clearance for the SANE/FNE exam and services. Together, you and the nurse will decide which of our services are right for you. If you are an adult, you have the right to choose some, none or all of the available services. The SANE exam and care is technical and intensive and can take about 2–4 hours to complete.
Services we provide
- Forensic evaluation
- Forensic physical exam
- Injury assessment and documentation
- Forensic photography
- Evidence collection
- Forensic reporting
- Baseline sexually transmitted disease (STI) testing
- Preventive sexually transmitted disease (STI) treatment
- Baseline pregnancy testing
- Emergency contraception
- Referrals to advocacy agencies
- Referrals for follow-up care
Our services are available all day, every day. 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. To access our services, go to the emergency room of one of our participating hospitals. You will be seen and medically cleared by a doctor first.
What we do
- Sexual Trauma Services of the Midlands
- South Carolina Victims Assistance Network
- South Carolina Department of Crime Victim Compensation
- The Hive
- USC Sexual Assault and Violence Intervention & Prevention
- Metropolitan Children’s Advocacy Center
- Dickerson Children’s Advocacy Center
- Family Resource Center
- Midlands Sexual Assault Response Team
- Durant Children's Center
- South Carolina Human Trafficking Task Force