Prisma Health celebrates groundbreaking of new emergency department at Prisma Health Oconee Memorial Hospital
GREENVILLE, S.C.—Prisma Health celebrated a milestone today in continuing to meet the needs of the Oconee County community during a groundbreaking ceremony for the new emergency department at Prisma Health Oconee Memorial Hospital. The $13 million expansion will more than double the space available to treat patients from 8,400 square feet to 21,500 square feet, increasing capacity and improving the patient experience.
“Our team is providing exceptional care. With this expansion, we will be able to provide for increased patient volumes, allow for upgraded equipment and technology while caring for patients in a healing and comfortable environment,” said Hunter Kome, Prisma Health Oconee Memorial Hospital CEO. “This expansion will give us the capacity to care for this community for years to come.”
Construction will begin soon and is expected to be completed in 2023. In addition to the increase in square footage, features of the new Emergency Department at Prisma Health Oconee Memorial Hospital will include the following:
- 26 new individual treatment rooms, ensuring patient privacy and confidentiality.
- Universal rooms that can be utilized to treat a variety of medical needs.
- Advanced technology and equipment.
- New entrance, enhanced Triage and Care Initiation to move patients through the process more quickly, and a Fast Track for patients with less serious ailments.
- Expanded support areas, including a larger nurses’ station, physician work area and storage space to streamline work processes.
“I’m so proud we are able to increase our capacity to serve this wonderful community,” said Bill Chiles, MD, a Prisma Health emergency medicine physician based at Oconee Memorial Hospital.
“This would not be possible without support from our local businesses and residents,” said Cortni Nations, manager, Oconee Memorial Hospital Foundation. “Members of our community have come together to raise more than $700,000 toward our million-dollar goal. We are grateful for the teamwork that has made tremendous progress on a big goal.”
Prisma Health Oconee Memorial Hospital typically cares for about 40,000 patients in its emergency department area each year. The expansion will provide capacity to see up to 55,000 patients per year and has been designed to incorporate current best care practices, allowing us the flexibility to bring the right resource at the right time to the patient, said Matt Bitner, MD, chair of emergency medicine for Prisma Health in the Upstate.
“We are invested in the health and wellbeing of Oconee County, the Upstate and the state of South Carolina. Improving our facilities and expanding our capacity in this community is part of our Purpose: Inspire health. Serve with Compassion. Be the difference,” added Clarence Sevillian, Chief Operating Officer, Prisma Health.
About Prisma Health
Prisma Health is a not-for-profit health company and the largest healthcare system in South Carolina. With nearly 30,000 team members, 18 hospitals, 2,947 beds and more than 300 physician practice sites, Prisma Health serves more than 1.2 million unique patients annually. Its goal is to improve the health of all South Carolinians by enhancing clinical quality, the patient experience and access to affordable care, as well as conducting clinical research and training the next generation of medical professionals. For more information, visit PrismaHealth.org.
- Bradshaw Institute for Community Child Health & Advocacy kicks off diaper bank
- Prisma Health partners with United Way on innovative Saturday event targeting census outreach, voter registration and flu vaccination
- Greenville Health Authority awards more than $20 million in community grants
- Donors to receive free COVID-19 antibody testing at Upstate community blood drive
- Prisma Health wound centers earn highest clinical honors in the state