Prisma Health sponsors free WellFest event, Saturday, March 2
Free heart health screenings available
Prisma Health, formerly Palmetto Health, will host WellFest: A Heart Health Event, Saturday, March 2, 8 a.m.–1:30 p.m. at the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center, 1101 Lincoln St. This event is designed to celebrate health and wellness.
As part of the event, Prisma Health is offering free heart health screenings throughout February as well as at the event. Prior registration is required along with a 12-hour fast. To register for the event or screenings, visit PrismaHealth.org/WellFest or call 803-296-CARE (2273). A limited number of free mammograms also are available. To schedule, call 803-296-8888.
Free transportation from Prisma Health Tuomey Hospital in Sumter is available, but registration is required. To register, call 803-296-CARE (2273).
At the event, community members will have the opportunity to:
- Hear and discuss the connections between stroke, heart disease and diabetes with Anil Yallapragada, MD, medical director of the Prisma Health Stroke Center and neurologist with Palmetto Health-USC Neurology.
- Listen to Cameron Thomasson, advanced practice registered nurse, Palmetto Heart in Sumter, as she presents information on heart-healthy living.
- Enjoy award-winning and nationally known comedian Akintunde as he provides information on how laughter is essential to any wellness plan.
- Participate in men’s and women’s breakout sessions, cooking and exercise demonstrations, one-on-one interactions with Prisma Health physicians, healthy living exhibits and more.
- Prisma Health welcomes 15 cardiologists from Columbia Heart
- Prisma Health recognizes May as National Stroke and Hypertension Awareness Month, offers free seminars and screenings
- Prisma Health hosts series of free seminars as part of American Heart Month
- First use of innovative CardioMEMS heart monitoring technology at Prisma Health Tuomey Hospital
- Prisma Health expands cardiology services in Sumter with new clinic