Prisma Health Children’s Hospital recognized for safe, healing environment
COLUMBIA, S.C.—The Children’s Hospitals’ Solutions for Patient Safety (SPS) Network of over 140 Children`s Hospitals selected Prisma Health Children’s Hospital in Columbia for the May 2021 Hospital of the Month. Children’s Hospital was selected for recognition for the following reasons:
- Sustained reduction in harm events.
- Superb data submission.
- Supportive of the All Teach/All Learn philosophy by participating in networking sessions to develop and implement harm prevention strategies.
“Our Children’s Hospital has been named Hospital of the Month for the nation out of over 145 children`s hospitals for its quality and care,” said Caughman Taylor, MD, the hospital’s senior medical director. “Earning this honor twice in three years really highlights our commitment to providing the best care.”
“This is something to celebrate! We achieved this despite the challenges of a pandemic, corporate consolidations and a year-long journey to move to one electronic medical records platform,” said Melanie D. Blackburn, MD, associate professor of pediatrics at the University of South Carolina School of Medicine Columbia and director of quality for the Children's Hospital. “I am so proud to be a part of this small but mighty team who always seeks to place patient care and safety as a priority.”
About Children’s Hospitals’ Solutions for Patient Safety (SPS) Network
The SPS Network – created in partnership with the Cardinal Health Foundation, Children’s Hospital Association and the federal Partnership for Patients initiative – represents the most herculean effort to date by children’s hospitals to create a universally safe and healing environment for all children who are in our care. Leaders from 145+ children’s hospitals have stepped forward and committed to clear, shared network goals of harm reduction to both patients and team members.
About Prisma Health Children’s Hospital
Prisma Health Children’s Hospital in Columbia is South Carolina’s first children's hospital and has more than 150,000 children’s visits each year. It offers more than 30 subspecialties to meet the unique health care needs of children and has central South Carolina's only Children’s Emergency Center. With more than 350 professionals who work exclusively with children, Prisma Health Children’s Hospital has a team of highly skilled and trained experts unmatched by any hospital in the Midlands. Prisma Health Children’s Hospital is the place to go for children's medical care, because the best care matters.
About Prisma Health
Prisma Health is a not-for-profit health company and the largest healthcare system in South Carolina. With nearly 30,000 team members, 18 acute care and specialty hospitals, 2,947 beds, approximately 300 outpatient sites, and nearly 5,000 employed and clinically integrated network physicians and providers, Prisma Health serves more than 1.2 million unique patients annually in its 21-county market area that covers 50% of South Carolina. Prisma Health’s goal is to improve the health of all South Carolinians by enhancing clinical quality, the patient experience and access to affordable care, as well as conducting clinical research and training the next generation of medical professionals. For more information, visit PrismaHealth.org.
- Prisma Health Tuomey Hospital opens a pharmacy on its campus
- Prisma Health and Richland County work together to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 among the homeless population
- Prisma Health Richland Hospital Trauma Center recognizes Falls Prevention Week with seminar and online tool to help older adults stay “falls-free”
- Prisma Health Tuomey Hospital team helps N.C. grandmother set up for an all-day Facetime connection to coach daughter through labor due to COVID-19 visitor restrictions
- Prisma Health and The Blood Connection seek plasma from recovered patients to help others severely ill with COVID-19