Agreement for Prisma Health to acquire KershawHealth and Providence Health terminated
Greenville, S.C. and Brentwood, TN—Following considerable efforts to complete a transaction, Prisma Health and LifePoint Health today announced they have terminated the agreement for Prisma Health–Midlands to acquire Providence Health and Providence Health Northeast in Columbia, South Carolina; KershawHealth in Camden, South Carolina; and a freestanding emergency room in Fairfield County.
Prisma Health and LifePoint entered into the agreement to pursue the acquisition in March 2020 with a shared commitment to expanding clinical services and improving the delivery of and access to healthcare across the Midlands. While both parties anticipated that the acquisition would have a complex regulatory path, significant delays and challenges with the Federal Trade Commission and state regulatory authorities have made it prohibitive to move forward.
Both companies continue to stand by their initial vision for this transaction. However, they have determined it is in the best interests of all organizations involved, their employees, and those they serve, to end their pursuit of this acquisition. Moving forward, all of the hospitals remain committed to providing high-quality care across the Midlands, including their respective ongoing leadership in supporting their communities through the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
About Prisma Health
Prisma Health is a not-for-profit health company and the largest healthcare system in South Carolina. With nearly 30,000 team members, 18 hospitals, 2,947 beds and more than 300 outpatient sites with nearly 2,000 physicians, Prisma Health serves more than 1.2 million unique patients annually in its 21-county market area that covers 50% of South Carolina. Prisma Health’s goal is to improve the health of all South Carolinians by enhancing clinical quality, the patient experience and access to affordable care, as well as conducting clinical research and training the next generation of medical professionals. For more information, visit PrismaHealth.org.
- Prisma Health Tuomey Hospital opens a pharmacy on its campus
- Prisma Health and Richland County work together to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 among the homeless population
- Prisma Health Richland Hospital Trauma Center recognizes Falls Prevention Week with seminar and online tool to help older adults stay “falls-free”
- Prisma Health Tuomey Hospital team helps N.C. grandmother set up for an all-day Facetime connection to coach daughter through labor due to COVID-19 visitor restrictions
- Prisma Health and The Blood Connection seek plasma from recovered patients to help others severely ill with COVID-19