Driver Rehab Program – Greenville
Roger C. Peace Rehabilitation Hospital is the only facility in the Greenville, South Carolina, area to offer a driver rehabilitation program. The program is conducted by a team of occupational therapists, specialty trained in driver education and driver rehabilitation.
Our certified driver rehabilitation specialist helps those with functional impairments – often related to trauma, illness, aging or psychological changes – meet their driving goals. The certified driver rehabilitation specialist can provide invaluable information related to the clients’ physical and cognitive abilities affecting safe driving.
- Physical evaluation of functional strength, range of motion, sensation and coordination.
- Cognitive evaluation of visual processing, memory, judgment, orientation and attention span.
- Perceptual motor evaluation of the client’s ability to interpret and react to the environment.
- Visual acuity and visual field evaluation to assess whether the client meets the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (SCDMV) vision standards for driving.
- A behind-the-wheel road test is then performed to assess safe handling of a vehicle in a dynamic environment.
Recommendations for additional training and/or needs for adaptive equipment are provided to the client and referring provider. The Driver Rehabilitation Program works very closely with the client, the provider, the family and SCDMV to ensure that each individual is given every opportunity to maintain independence in community mobility whether behind the wheel or through alternative means of transportation.
Referrals are accepted from doctors, healthcare professionals, individuals, and agencies. However, a doctor referral and a recent medical report are required for each client.
For more information on the Driver Rehabilitation Program, call 864-455-4959.