Expert care for our youngest patients
Oconee parents can take comfort in knowing their children have access to pediatric services at Prisma Health Oconee Memorial Hospital. Our 10-bed pediatric services unit is a satellite of Prisma Health Children’s Hospital–Upstate, designed to bring our youngest patients inpatient and outpatient services right here in Oconee.
- Care provided by pediatric hospitalists, trained pediatric nurses and child life specialist
- Respiratory therapists trained in pediatrics
- 10 beds, including a pediatric treatment room
- Pediatric Infusion Center
- Telemetry monitoring
- Telehealth consultations
- Connection to Child and Adolescent Psychiatry through Telepsychiatry
Our team is dedicated to overseeing every aspect of your child’s care. Your child is in good hands with our pediatric hospitalists and experienced pediatric nurses. As a graduate medical education teaching site, family medicine resident physicians, medical students, nursing students and other types of professional learners may be involved in the care provided to your family.
Our commitment to caring for the total needs of children and their families extends to the design of our inpatient pediatric rooms. Spacious family suites accommodate both the child and an accompanying parent for extra comfort during a stressful time.
Child-friendly treatment room
All procedures are performed in a designated treatment room so that the patient’s room remains a safe place where blood isn’t drawn or bandages changed.
For a child, going to a hospital can be scary. Our Child Life specialist is an expert in child development and focuses on reducing the fear and stress of healthcare experiences in both children and their families through play, self-expression and educational activities.
To meet the unique needs of children and families, Child Life provides the following activities and services:
- Therapeutic and recreational play activities to ease a child’s fears and anxieties.
- Educational preparation and sensory explanations to help children learn about what they will see, feel, and hear in the hospital or medical setting.
- Planning, rehearsing and implementing coping strategies to help children and their families cope with hospitalization and medical procedures.
- Support for siblings to help them understand and cope with their brother’s or sister’s illness or condition.
- Bereavement support for children and families facing the loss of a loved one.
- Special events, such as holiday parties and camps, for children in the hospital or who are living with chronic illnesses to allow them to participate in normal childhood activities.
- Developmental screenings for children assessed to be at risk for developmental delays.
- Virtual car seat inspection, inpatient car seat checks and car seat safety education.
- South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control ABC’s of safe sleep education and training.
- Safe Kids Worldwide Keep All Kids Safe education.
Pediatric Infusion Center
One of two dedicated pediatric infusion centers in the Upstate is located here at Oconee Memorial Hospital. The center provides outpatient care for children receiving regular intravenous infusion treatments. Experimental drugs that are part of study protocols are also administered here.
It is our goal to provide high-quality, personalized medical care to our patients from the moment they are born. Newborn services at Oconee Memorial Hospital provide Level I daily care for newborns, from birth up to 10 days old, thanks to our team of physicians, nurses, social workers and physical and occupational therapists. Breastfeeding promotion and support are key initiatives of this area. We also use telemedicine for consultation with the Level III Bryan Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Prisma Health Children’s Hospital–Upstate located in Greenville, SC.
Support our youngest patients
A gift to support our pediatric services supports our youngest patients. Donations are tax deductible through Oconee Memorial Hospital Foundation.
Mail to: OMH Foundation
Memo: OMH Pediatric Services
298 Memorial Drive
Seneca, SC 29672