PGY2 Critical Care Pharmacy Residency
Prisma Health Richland Hospital – University of South Carolina
Our PGY2 Residency in Critical Care Pharmacy at Prisma Health Richland Hospital is designed to transition PGY1 residency graduates from a general practitioner to one in a specialized practice that meets the needs of critically ill patients. PGY2 residency graduates exit our program equipped to be fully integrated members of the interdisciplinary critical care team, able to make complex medication and nutrition support recommendations in this fast-paced environment.
Training critical care specialists
Training focuses on developing the resident with the capabilities to understand a wide range of diseases and disorders that occur in the critically ill. Special emphasis is placed on the complexities of multiple organ system failure and the difficulties imposed on care when patients require life-sustaining equipment.
Graduates of the critical care residency are experienced in short-term research in the critical care environment and excel in their ability to teach other health professionals and those in training to be health professionals. They also acquire the experience necessary to exercise leadership for critical care practice in the health system.
Prisma Health Richland Hospital is an innovative and progressive facility affiliated with the University of South Carolina College of Pharmacy and the UofSC School of Medicine. A 641-bed tertiary referral center with a Level I Trauma Center, freestanding heart and children's hospitals, a pediatric intensive care unit and a Level III neonatal intensive care unit, our hospital is accredited as an Advanced Certification Primary Stroke Center and Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) program by The Joint Commission.
Our adult critical care patient units include medical intensive care, surgical/trauma intensive care, cardiovascular surgery intensive care, coronary intensive care, neurosurgical intensive care, and medical/surgical step-down. Specialties include emergency services, gastroenterology, infectious disease, nephrology, neurology, nutrition, oncology, orthopedics, and pulmonology.
- Demonstrate leadership and practice management skills in critical care.
- Optimize the outcomes of critically ill patients by providing evidence-based medication therapy as an integral part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrate excellence in the provision of training, including preceptorship, or educational activities for health care professionals and health care professionals in training.
- Demonstrate the skills necessary to conduct a critical care pharmacy research project.
- Participate in the management of advanced cardiac life support.
- Perform quality improvement activities aimed at enhancing the safety and effectiveness of the medication-use process in the critical care area.
American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) PGY2 program purpose: PGY2 pharmacy residency programs build on Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and PGY1 pharmacy residency programs to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists in specialized areas of practice. PGY2 residencies provide residents with opportunities to function independently as practitioners by conceptualizing and integrating accumulated experience and knowledge and incorporating both into the provision of patient care or other advanced practice settings. Residents who successfully complete an accredited PGY2 pharmacy residency are prepared for advanced patient care, academic or other specialized positions, along with board certification, if available.
For additional information about our program or the application process, please contact:
Jenna F. Cox, PharmD, BCPS, BCCCP
Department of Pharmacy
Prisma Health Richland Hospital
5 Richland Medical Park Dr.
Columbia, SC 29203
- PGY1 Pharmacy Residency (Acute Care)
- PGY1 Pharmacy Residency (Outpatient Focused)
- PGY1/PGY2 Health System Pharmacy Administration and Leadership Residency
- PGY2 Cardiology Pharmacy Residency
- PGY2 Critical Care Pharmacy Residency
- PGY2 Infectious Diseases Pharmacy Residency
- PGY2 Internal Medicine Pharmacy Residency
- PGY2 Pediatric Pharmacy Residency