PGY2 Cardiology Pharmacy Residency
Prisma Health Richland Hospital – University of South Carolina
Our PGY2 Cardiology Pharmacy Residency is designed to transition PGY1 residency graduates from a general practitioner to one in a specialized practice that meets the needs of patients with a variety of cardiovascular diseases. Graduates exit our program equipped to be fully integrated members of the interdisciplinary cardiology care team, able to make complex and evidence-based medication recommendations in this fast-paced environment.
Treating cardiovascular disease
Training focuses on developing the resident with the capabilities to understand a wide range of diseases and disorders that affect the cardiovascular and cerebrovascular systems in both inpatient and outpatient care settings. Graduates of the cardiology residency are experienced in short-term research in one or more care environments and excel in their ability to teach other health professionals and those in training to be health professionals. They also acquire the experience necessary to exercise leadership for cardiology practice in the health system.
Prisma Health Richland Hospital is an innovative and progressive facility affiliated with the University of South Carolina College of Pharmacy and the UofSC School of Medicine. A 641-bed tertiary referral center with a Level I Trauma Center, freestanding heart and children's hospitals, a pediatric intensive care unit and a Level III neonatal intensive care unit, our hospital is accredited as an Advanced Certification Primary Stroke Center and Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) program by The Joint Commission.
Our adult heart hospital consists of multiple cardiology patient care units including cardiovascular surgery intensive care, coronary intensive care, cardiovascular surgery step-down, heart failure, and two general cardiology/telemetry units. There are also two ambulatory care areas, including an advanced heart failure/VAD clinic and a primary prevention clinic. Cardiology residents will have a plethora of interdisciplinary practice experiences integrated with nurse practitioners, physician assistants, medical residents, cardiology fellows and attending cardiologists.
American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) PGY2 program purpose: PGY2 pharmacy residency programs build on Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and PGY1 pharmacy residency programs to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists in specialized areas of practice. PGY2 residencies provide residents with opportunities to function independently as practitioners by conceptualizing and integrating accumulated experience and knowledge and incorporating both into the provision of patient care or other advanced practice settings. Residents who successfully complete an accredited PGY2 pharmacy residency are prepared for advanced patient care, academic, or other specialized positions, along with board certification, if available.
- Demonstrate leadership and practice management skills in cardiology
- Optimize the outcomes of patients with cardiovascular disease by providing evidence-based medication therapy as an integral part of an interdisciplinary team
- Demonstrate excellence in the provision of training, including preceptorship, or educational activities for health care professionals and health care professionals in training
- Demonstrate the skills necessary to conduct a cardiology pharmacy research project
- Participate in the management of Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- Perform quality improvement activities aimed at enhancing the safety and effectiveness of the medication-use process in cardiology practice areas
For additional information about our program or the application process, please contact:
B. Andrew Mardis, PharmD, BCCP, BCPS
Residency Program Director
Advanced Heart Health Center
Prisma Health Heart Hospital
6 Richland Medical Park Dr.
Columbia, SC 29203
Steven J. Asbill, PharmD, BCPS
Residency Program Coordinator
Department of Pharmacy
Prisma Health Richland Hospital
5 Richland Medical Park Dr.
Columbia, SC 29203
- PGY1 Pharmacy Residency (Acute Care)
- PGY1 Pharmacy Residency (Outpatient Focused)
- PGY1/PGY2 Health System Pharmacy Administration and Leadership Residency
- PGY2 Cardiology Pharmacy Residency
- PGY2 Critical Care Pharmacy Residency
- PGY2 Infectious Diseases Pharmacy Residency
- PGY2 Internal Medicine Pharmacy Residency
- PGY2 Pediatric Pharmacy Residency