PGY1 Pharmacy Residency (Acute Care)
Prisma Health Richland Hospital – University of South Carolina
Our ASHP-accredited PGY1 Residency 37200 (Acute Care) at Prisma Health Richland Hospital is designed to transition a pharmacy student to a general practitioner. PGY1 residency graduates exit our program equipped to be fully integrated members of the interdisciplinary healthcare team, able to make medication recommendations in a variety of clinical settings.
Training skilled practitioners
Training focuses on developing the resident with the capabilities to understand a wide range of diseases and disorders that occur in many patient types. The residency is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP).
Graduates of our PGY1 residency gain experience in short-term research projects, precepting, quality improvement activities and enhancing the education of other health professionals and those in training to be health professionals. They also acquire the experience necessary to exercise leadership and management skills for pharmacy practice in a health system.
PGY1 Program Purpose: PGY1 pharmacy residency programs build on Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and outcomes to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists responsible for medication-related care of patients with a wide range of conditions, eligible for board certification and eligible for postgraduate year two (PGY2) pharmacy residency training.
- Manage and improve the medication-use process
- Exercise leadership and practice management skills
- Provide evidence-based, patient-centered medication therapy management with interdisciplinary teams
- Demonstrate project management skills
- Provide medication and practice-related education and training
- Utilize medical informatics
- Conduct pharmacy practice research
- Provide drug information to health care professionals and the public
For additional information about our program or the application process, please contact:
Laura E. Holden, PharmD, BCPS
Department of Pharmacy
Prisma Health Richland Hospital
5 Richland Medical Park Dr.
Columbia, SC 29203
- PGY1 Pharmacy Residency (Acute Care)
- PGY1 Pharmacy Residency (Outpatient Focused)
- PGY1/PGY2 Health System Pharmacy Administration and Leadership Residency
- PGY2 Cardiology Pharmacy Residency
- PGY2 Critical Care Pharmacy Residency
- PGY2 Infectious Diseases Pharmacy Residency
- PGY2 Internal Medicine Pharmacy Residency
- PGY2 Pediatric Pharmacy Residency