Prisma Health Music Therapy Internship
At Prisma Health, our trained music therapists use music to help improve the health of patients in the hospital. With the use of evidence-based music therapy experiences and interventions, board-certified music therapists can improve all health domains: physical, emotional, cognitive, social and spiritual.
Prisma Health offers a 26-week music therapy internship listed as a National Roster Internship Site by the American Music Therapy Association.
Help change somebody else's tune
As a music therapy intern at Prisma Health, you will observe, co-lead, and eventually lead music therapy sessions as a part of an interdisciplinary team in a dynamic hospital system.
Training includes rotations working with individuals and groups of all ages in various medical settings, including:
- Inpatient mental health.
- General adult medical.
- Pediatric medical.
Our team of board-certified, experienced music therapists will provide consistent supervision, guiding you through the internship experience and offering support as you become a skillful professional.
Prisma Health is located in the heart of Columbia, South Carolina. Prisma Health Richland Hospital and Prisma Health Baptist Hospital offer rich experiences for interns interested in a learning environment dedicated to growth, diversity and exploration.
The Columbia area is full of cultural and recreational opportunities through the Colonial Life Center, Carolina Coliseum, Koger Center for the Arts, The Columbia Museum of Art, the South Carolina State Museum, Nickelodeon Theater, Trustus Theater, Township Auditorium, Riverbanks Zoo, and Columbia Riverwalk. More information about the area can be found at ExperienceColumbiaSC.com.
Internship special projects
- Intervention file.
- Hypothetical program proposal.
- Case study.
- Music therapy in-service presentation.
Internship provisions and requirements
- Stipend: None.
- Food: Discount in the hospital cafeteria.
- Support: Free access to nine individual counseling sessions with an on-site professional therapist.
- Supervision: Weekly supervision with the internship director, consistent session supervision with rotation supervisors, weekly musical supervision for guitar, piano and voice skills.
- Transportation: Free public transportation on the city bus line. The hospitals are on the bus route.
- Lodging: None. Supervisors can provide guidance upon request.
- Uniforms: Interns are responsible for purchasing work attire/scrubs based on the current hospital policy.
- Registration and all the requirements in My Clinical Exchange (MCE) must be completed prior to the internship start date.
- Immunization records must be provided prior to the internship start date including proof of immunity to chickenpox (either with a positive serum varicella titer or receipt of two doses of the chickenpox vaccine), annual flu shot, COVID-19 vaccination (Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson), and a current TB test.
- Certified Athletic Training Residency Program
- Continuing Medical Education
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Prisma Health Music Therapy Internship
- Nurse Residency Program
- Orthopedic Physical Therapy Residency
- Geriatric Physical Therapy Residency
- Pharmacy Residency Programs – Columbia
- Research Division
- Clinical Pastoral Education