One-year intensive training in medical laboratory science
The Medical Laboratory Science Program at Prisma Health provides a one-year curriculum of intensive training. Classroom and clinical rotations are generally scheduled Monday–Friday from 7 a.m.–3:30 p.m. This training includes didactic lectures and extensive practical experience under the direction of pathologists and certified medical laboratory professionals.
Clinical training facilities
Qualifications for admission
- Applicants must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in biology, chemistry or a related health science.
- Minimum cumulative (and science) grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale
- College work must include 16 semester hours of chemistry, including organic or biochemistry; 16 semester hours of biology to include microbiology and immunology (either as a separate course or as part of a microbiology course – provide a course outline or letter from instructor); and 3 hours of college-level math.
- Highly recommended courses include: genetics, molecular or cell biology, statistics and histology. Applicants who have not taken an organic chemistry and/or microbiology course within seven years must update their knowledge
- Non-academic essential functions (PDF)
- Completed application – download/view application form (DOC) »
- Official college transcripts – students who obtained their degree outside of the United States or Canada must have courses evaluated by an approved evaluation agency.
- Two references – download/view recommedation form (DOC) »
- Applicants whose first language is not English must submit official TOEFL scores
Selected applicants will be notified for a personal interview. All applicants are considered equally without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, veteran's status, or disability.
Year started – 1963
Length of course – 12 months
Books – $500-600
Tuition – $4000 (waived with stipulation that student agrees to work for Prisma Health for a minimum of two years)
Application processing fee – $125
Uniforms – Furnished by student
Admission – January and July
Application deadlines are April 1 for the July class and October 1 for the January class. July classes are contingent upon the January class size.
Withdrawals – A student desiring to resign from the school must have a personal conference with the program director and submit a letter of withdrawal. Such a letter should state the primary reason(s) for withdrawal. A student may withdraw at any time. The student will be required to return their ID badge.
Delketria Drayton, MLS, ASCP
Prisma Health Medical Laboratory Science Program
Prisma Health Richland Hospital Laboratory
14 Richland Medical Park Dr., Suite 500
Columbia, SC 29203