Brief Conversations to Build Vaccine Confidence
Activity origination date: September 1, 2021
Expiration date: September 1, 2024
Duration: Approximately 1 hour
The University of South Carolina School of Medicine-Prisma Health–Midlands Continuing Medical Education Organization is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of South Carolina School of Medicine-Prisma Health–Midlands Continuing Medical Education Organization designates this enduring material activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Planning Committee members Matt Orr, PhD, Morgan Rhodes, PharmD, Megan Weis, DrPH, Patricia Witherspoon, MD, L. Alex Young, MD, Elizabeth Hipp, Daniel Layton, Andrea Mitchell, Shaun Riffle, Adrienne C. Ross, Michele Stanek, Clark Wallace, Nancy Williams, Carson Woodham and Kylee Yturralde have disclosed they have no relevant financial relationships to disclose. There is no commercial support for this activity.
Participants will see the following Motivational Interviewing (MI)-based communication strategies modeled in a simulated patient interview about the COVID-19 vaccine. At the end of this module participants will be able to identify these key communication strategies:
- Use open questions to learn the patient’s perspective.
- Use reflective listening to express empathy and convey understanding.
- Ask permission to share information.
- Emphasize patient autonomy.
- Normalize and validate the patient’s concern(s)
- Before beginning the module, download and review the one-page Brief Conversation Guide for Building Vaccine Confidence.
- Click the link below to view the video (opens in a new browser window). For best viewing results, a modern browser is recommended. The video must be viewed in its entirety to receive CME credit.
- Click the link below to complete the evaluation. Credit will be awarded for participation once the evaluation is completed.
(best viewed in Chrome, Safari, Edge or Firefox)